Directorate of Economics, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation
The Directorate of Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation (DESM&E) is the apex statistical organization of the state government and is declared as the “Nodal Agency” for all statistical activities in the State. The directorate was initially established as Bureau of Economics and Statistics (BES) in the year 1978. In the year 2004, the organization was upgraded to a directorate and was also bestowed the task of monitoring and evaluation of various schemes.
The Directorate of Economics, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation is the states’ central statistical authority both for providing the statistical man power to all the line departments and to guide and advise the state government and its different departments on matters relating to collection, analysis and dissemination of statistics. The directorate also acts as liasion between the State Government and the Central Government on all Statistical matters.
The Vision Statement of DESM&E “The Vision of the statistical system in the State shall be to establish systems, processes and best practices, to provide within the decentralized structure of the system, reliable, timely and credible social and economic statistics to assist decision making within and outside government, strengthen the efforts to promote economic and social development and stimulate informed debate relating to conditions affecting the life of people”.
The following are the Vision Pearl Drops:
- a. Develop a coherent and consistent system of data collection, analysis and dissemination within the present structure of a decentralized set of responsibilities under the constitutional framework and ensure that official statistics matches the data needs at all levels of aggregation from nation level down to sub district level and that it would be comparable both across time and space.
- b. Evolve, wherever required, suitable standards and methodologies and further make them dynamic as the process of strengthening state capacities progress.
- c. To strengthen the coordination mechanism among the data producers.
- d. Develop expertise among statistical personnel for independent design of surveys and studies.
- e. Generate base line data and provide subsequent data sets for carrying out meaningful evaluation of development programmes.
The MISSION, for the State Statistical System is to develop a coherent and consistent system of data collection, analysis and dissemination within the present structure of decentralized set of responsibilities under the constitutional framework. Such strengthening would help to improve the credibility, timeliness, reliability along with adequacy. It would also need to ensure the data generated at different levels are comparable both across time and space.
Functions and activities of DESM&E
The DESM&E is directly responsible for the entire domain of socio-economic census, estimation of state and district domestic product, computation of indices of prices, participation in the socio economic surveys conducted under the aegis of the NSSO and other adhoc studies.
The main functions of DESM&E are:
- 1) Collection, classification, tabulation, analysis and presentation of data on various socio-economic aspects of the State in a systematic manner and dissemination of the same through periodic publications
2) Conducting sample surveys and other adhoc field enquiries etc. on various aspects of socio-economic development
3) Co-ordination of the statistical activities of various departments of the State Government and rendering them technical guidance
4) Monitoring and Evaluation
5) Organization of post recruitment training to statistical personnel
6) Liasion with the statistical organizations of the Government of India and other State Governments.
7) Carry out all statistical works which are not undertaken by other departments.
The Government of Sikkim (Allocation of Business) Rules, 2004 bestows the following responsibility to DESM&E:-
- Act as the Nodal Agency for planning integrated development of the statistical system in the State.
- To identify gaps in data availability or duplication of statistical work in respect of Departments of the Government of Sikkim and to suggest necessary remedial measures.
- Laying down and maintenance of norms and standards in the field of statistics, evolving concepts, definitions and methodology of data collection, processing of data and dissemination of results.
- Advising the Departments of the Government of Sikkim on statistical methodology and on statistical analysis of data.
- Publication of annual estimates of State Income, gross and net domestic products, government and private final consumption expenditure, capital formation and savings, capital stock and consumption fixed capital, quarterly estimates of Gross Domestic Product, preparation of comparable estimates of State Domestic Product( at current and constant prices).
- Conducting State wide sample surveys on various socio-economic aspects, such as, employment, consumer expenditure, housing condition, debt and investment, land and livestock holding, literacy, education, health-family welfare, unorganized manufacturing and services etc. To provide the database needed for development, research, policy formulation and economic planning.
- Conducting quality checks and auditing of statistical surveys and data sets through technical scrutiny and sample checks and generate correction factors and alternative estimates, if required.
- Undertaking the processing of survey data collected through various socio-economic surveys and follow up surveys of Economic Census and Annual Survey of Industries by the National Sample.
- Dissemination of statistical information through a number of regular or adhoc publications to Government, semi-Government or private data users/agencies and dissemination of data, on request, to their relevant international agencies.
- Giving grants-in-aid to registered non-governmental organizations and research institutions of repute for undertaking special studies or surveys, printing of statistical reports and finance seminars, workshops or conferences relating to different subject areas of official statistics.
- Functioning as the Cadre Controlling Authority and dealing with all aspects of managing the statistical Service including all matters pertaining to training, career planning and manpower.
- Undertaking methodological studies and pilot surveys for evolving better sampling techniques and estimation procedures including small area estimates.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of all Schemes/Programs/Projects undertaken and implemented by the Government including those sponsored and aided by the government. Undertake Monitoring and Evaluation of schemes/Programs/projects being implemented in the State.
- Maintain a comprehensive Project informative system and necessary database for undertaking the works of Monitoring and Evaluation.
- To certify all programs and schemes being implemented in the State for release of funds and payments. To supervise and monitor the Monitoring and Evaluation Cells in various Department.
DESM&E and its sister cells play a pivotal role in supplying the Government with timely and reliable data for sound and effective planning and policy formulation for an overall development of the State. Realizing the importance of the crucial role played by the directorate to meet the numerous challenges of making the State a ‘model’ for the entire country to emulate, Government has opened numerous statistical divisions in various departments and District Statistics Office in Gyalshing, Namchi and Mangan